Tuesday 22 September 2009

Modern Combat - Painting US Marines

When I first did my USMC, it was for a game based in Somalia and as such was a mix of the 3 colour desert camouflage uniform. Since researching Ambush Alley and more Operations in the Contemporary Operating Environment ld me to look again at digital uniforms.
First project was for MARPAT (MARine PATtern). Not having a piece of material to hand and trying to remember back what the MEF wore linked to some browsing pages on the net (where colour depth is always a problem) I came up with this page to try different methods until I can find something That Looks About Right (those of you who browse my pages will find that a common phrase. At this scale the best I can hope for is the look of the camouflage, it won't be right because of the figure and the size and shape of my paint brush).

Undercoated and read to start.

Version 0.A
First up on my batch of 7 specimen models. There appear to 4 shades of colour on MARPAT (Which characterise it).

  • The base layer very very light tan/brown
  • Intermediate layer of very light brown
  • Medium brown
  • Darker Brown
With a white undercoat that will be washed I came up with the idea of:

  • using white as the base layer - It will pick up the pigment of the wash
  • Gray as the intermediate layer - Again it will take some pigment and show up darker than the base layer
  • Medium brown. Very light colour probably have to be something like Calthan Brown from GW
  • Dark brown. Probably take the Vallejo choclate brown
So first figure then. Painting sequence will be:

  • Hands and Face (as all my figures the first thing that happens).
  • Weapon in black
  • boots and web gear in Tau Sept Ochre
  • Light Grey in big splodges
  • Calthan brown small patches
  • Choclate brown very small patches (almost dots)
  • Sepia Wash to blend it all together
  • Orange optics (if needed).
  • Gloss Varnish
  • Decals (not too sure at this scale but will give it a go (I like a challenge). Stars n Bars on the Right shoulder (I need to do some research about unit markings).
  • Possible second coat of varnish (if decals are used)
  • Dullcote
Results 0.A. Took two figures and just washed them over. As a result I will used the Mud wash, the sepia was too yellow and I needed a gray/brown. Secondly my first go through used Tau Ochre for the boots and gear. This is two orange even with the wash so will go down to Yellow/Middlestone for the next run.
 Version 0.B (Lessons Learned) From the first run through keep everything the same except the pieces in BOLD. Painting sequence will be:

  • Hands and Face (as all my figures the first thing that happens).
  • Weapon in graphite
  • boots and web gear in Middlestone
  • Light Grey in big splodges
  • Calthan brown small patches
  • Choclate brown very small patches (almost dots)
  • Devlan Mud to blend it all together
  • Orange optics (if needed).
  • Gloss Varnish
  • Dullcote
Go back and add the green equipment, and do the optics properly. Also need to do the googles and strap in black; and finally do some research on smoke grenades and these models should be finished to game with.

Okay then happy with Version 0.B. Need a bit of feedback from the Ambush Alley professionals and go from there.



 
The intermediate colour does look a bit too gray so will have a look, but I am happy with these. The problem with modern camouflage is that it is designed to make you blend in, we as gamers like our figures on the table to look at. So a balance has to be struck. These will be based before I go to work this morning (one benefit of having a dog that needs to go outside at 0630).

While I might be happy to start with, some of those who populate the ambush alley site put my efforts to shame. The shots here of the ACU scheme are fantastic. So I am going back to revisit this!!!!!!! (I AM happy with the silfor though).

No comments:

Post a Comment